Advocating for My Health During COVID-19
Telling my family or caregiver that I do not feel well is important.
Here are some things I can do to help me keep track of how I feel and what to say!
- Use language or words that makes sense to me or ask a trusted family member, friend, or caretaker to help me explain.
- Draw a picture or use a picture to show what/where something hurts.
- Describe a time when I felt the same way.
- Explain my sensory differences and communication needs.
- Program the list of questions or words describing how I feel into my communication device ahead of time.
- Use a check list like the one below or make a list of questions I want to ask before talking to them.
For more information on how to advocate for myself: Feeling Comfortable and Understood by My Medical Community
|Advocating for My Health During COVID-19||This resource provides tips for telling family members and caregivers about you're health.||Download file: Advocating for My Health During COVID-19|
This information was developed by the Autism Services, Education, Resources, and Training Collaborative (ASERT). For more information, please contact ASERT at 877-231-4244 or info@PAautism.org. ASERT is funded by the Bureau of Supports for Autism and Special Populations, PA Department of Human Services.