The Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council invites you to join for a compelling series of virtual advocacy discussions. The Self Advocate Spotlight Series will kick off in July and is an opportunity to hear from individuals with developmental disabilities about the remarkable things they are doing to make Pennsylvania a better place to live.
The Self Advocate Spotlight Series highlights how self advocates are demonstrating their own leadership skills, while also using their voices to mentor others.
To access future sessions, please use this Zoom information:
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 813 4989 7271; Passcode: Vw3Vkd
- July: Michael Anderson will talk about filing and winning an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) lawsuit against the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia to allow Direct Support Professionals to attend events without paying admission when accompanying a person with a disability who needs their support.
- August: Domonique Howell, founder of Mommy Chronicles, a support and advocacy group for parents with disabilities where they talk about caring for their children, keeping them safe, and their rights as a parent with disabilities
- September: Mark Steidl (and support staff, Lilly Abreu) founder of Self Advocacy Voices, a self advocate led organization in Western PA.
- October: Oscar Drummond (and a support staff), co-founder of Self Advocates United as One (SAU1), former SAU1 Board President, and Lead Ambassador/Lead Power Coach
- November: Thomas Hassell, director of Spectrum Friends of Greater Harrisburg, a self advocate led organization, and board member of both the Autism Society of Greater Harrisburg and United for Autism Foundation
- December: Khylil Robinson, trained as a Community Autism Peer Specialist (CAPS) and works as a CAPS for the Community Wellness Engagement Unit at the Philadelphia Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS)
Do you have accessibility needs? PADDC provides transcription, but for all other sessions, requests for accommodations other than transcription must be made at least 14 days prior to the event. To request accommodations, please email RA-PWPADDC@pa.gov or call toll free: 1-877-685-4452.